Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Multi Cultural Education

You know I never really learned about all of the great things
African-Americans have done until I reached college Oh sure I knew the basics like Martin Luther King
Who was a great man
But in my view when it comes to Black History there is more to it than him.

Also, I learned about Malcolm X, Frederick Douglas Harriet Tubman and Soujourner Truth

But it was not until college is to where I got a real study of Ida B. Wells
Madame CJ Walker
Africans in South America
Africans in Puerto Rico
Africans in Mexico.

I learned about how the slave trade really just put Africans in almost every part of the world
And it was amazingly to learn that the second President of Mexico was African
And he ended slavery in Mexico.

Also it was in college where I took a Black Woman's writers class
This was a great experience
And the funny thing about the class was that most of the students in the class

WERE CAUCASIAN
A SHOCKER.

It was in college where I learned about how much African-Americans
Have been discriminated against in The United States
And about the many people and groups who fought against discrimination.
All of this great knowledge about African-Americans

Was a real pleasure to learn
It really instilled in me a real sense of pride of being African-American/Black American.
The only thing is that I had wait to until college to feel this way
I always loved being Black to do not get me wrong
But after the knowledge I obtained about the accomplishments of African-Americans
It made me really understood who I am in this world.

It made me understand that I am somebody who can accomplish anything
Like many African-Americans/Black Americans are doing now and in the past.

But sad to say it really made me realize that there are obstacles for me to face
In a country that stills discriminates against African-Americans/Black Americans

So I have to still fight through many barriers
I have to worker harder to break through the barriers.

My experience of obtaining alot of knowledge about my culture
Has really motivated me to be a teacher of multi cultural education.
Because I do not want young people to wait until they attend college
To learn about their culture and heritage.

I feel that multicultural education is something that should start at the early
It should start at the elementary school level
And it should be placed in a school's curriculum.

I am one of those who is very willing to teach various ethnic groups
About their culture
I am one of those who is willing to prepare young people to be proud of who they are
I am one of those who wants young people to feel that can break the barriers
Break the barriers of discrimination.




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8VR8kTOdzU&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment